James Lawrence, or better know as the Iron Cowboy is a world record holder for multiple feats in the sport of triathlon and is a sought-after inspirational speaker. In 2015, he set a new record by doing 50 Ironman triathlons in 50 consecutive days, in all 50 states. It was featured in a documentary called Redefine Impossible and this conversation bares all – about the challenges, the highs and lows.
Last September, James and I both competed in Eco Challenge, the Worlds Toughest Race in Fiji. We both loved the experience!!! The series has just aired on Amazon Prime as a 10 part series, hosted by Bear Grylls. Despite all of James’ badass past experience he was a novice adventure racer – so it was awesome to hear his perspective on the experience. To explore the notion of grittiness as a commonality for those who finished the race. What he learned about himself and other from his experience. Also the difference between the 50-50-50 versus Eco Challenge.
We also discussed:
- how he is pivoting during covid -19.
- how you manage the thoughts in your head, the inner bully & critic.
- A full breakdown on 50-50-50, including a focus on SuperMom Sunny
- common mistakes that athletes make – rushing endurance and speed
- science of performance in endurance & why you shouldn’t skip the steps in between.
- how to create adventures…. where to focus…where to start.
- demystifying sponsorship – go local; be willing to fund your own adventures
- what does it mean to do the work
- how to find out my passion
- appreciating the moment and how to be in it
- the challenge of being on stage as an introvert
- What’s next!!
Hope you loved this conversation – you can check out James at
website: https://www.ironcowboy.com/ (virtual events, coaching, programs)